Friday, August 19, 2011

So far, so good

We did a trip to Whole Foods and got gluten free baking mixes, garbanzo bean flour, amaranth flour, quinoa pasta, rice noodles, bread and ingredients to make my own granola bars at home. The kids are aware that I'm saying "No" to dyes and not eating gluten. It's not that big of a change for them, yet. But we're home and they can have fresh fruits and vegetables and are satisfied with the snacks I've been giving them. G does not like the gluten free bread, but S does. It's very thick, almost like pound cake. I also like it, but I want to get into the habit of making our own gluten-free bread in the near future. I'm going to have to do more baking at home to make snacks that are easy to pack for school. The girls get a morning snack at school and they'll need snack for extended care after school. I also like to freeze waffles and pancakes that can be put into the toaster for breakfast. It's more work for me, but in the end it'll be enjoyable for us to have the tasty food and it'll be more cost-efficient.

No comments: