Sunday, July 10, 2011

Food Blog Summer 2011: Mexican Lasagna

Mexican Lasagna is also called Tortilla Pie. See that goo there? It's vegan "cheese" sauce. I got the idea from OhSheGlows.com. It's VERY simple: a tablespoon or two of hummus, equal amount nutritional yeast and then water it down to be the consistency you like. It works well in this recipe because it helps hold the lasagna together. You can also see the shredded Daiya Pepper jack Style.
 This is an inside layer.
 Do you ever work at a crowded counter like this? Sometimes I just have to get dinner in the oven and then I can do dishes while it cooks. Plus, I have very limited counter space in this kitchen. But, even when I had a lot more counter space in my last house, I tended to clutter it up quickly. I prefer having a smaller space because it pushes us to keep it cleaner.

So here's what goes into this recipe:
 Three tortillas with the following between each layer: Refried beans, black beans and kidney beans (canned and drained or precooked), Salsa (I used both Garden and Black bean and Corn), Rotel canned Tomatoes and Green chilies, Cheese Sauce, Shredded Daiya.
On the very top I only put a light layer of refried beans and the last of the Rotel tomatoes with the liquid from the can to keep the tortillas soft while baking. I also put a little shredded cheese.

 This recipe keeps the tortilla nice and soft and it's very much like a traditional lasagna because it's so gooey. It had a nice spice to it as well without adding any extra seasonings... just what was already in the salsa and tomatoes. That makes it so easy!
Tip: If you don't have tortillas that fit perfectly into a pie dish like I did,
you can use multiple smaller tortillas for each layer.
I've done that before and I've used corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
Both work great.

1 comment:

Liane said...

AWESOME! I have to try this.