Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Second Day of Summer Food Blog

Even though yesterday was officially the first day of summer, I began my summer break over a week ago, so my summer food blogs have begun. I don't have pictures today, but I have some great links. The first thing I made today was Vegan Garlic Scape Pesto! I made three small batches (I have a small food processor) and divided it into two tablespoon size servings. I put each serving into a small baggie and then put all the baggies into a gallon size freezer bag and then into the freezer. I made a bag each for my mom and my sister with four servings each. One serving is enough for at least 1/2 lb of pasta or more.

I had gotten scapes from my organic CSA and didn't know what they were called. After searching for garlic rope, garlic string, garlic onion, green garlic, I finally found GARLIC SCAPES and how to use them. I came across this post with a recipe that uses walnuts for pesto. I knew I wanted to veganize it, but searched the internet sure someone else had done it already. This great site had a wonderful recipe. Only, I didn't have any sesame seeds, so I couldn't follow it exactly. I went with my first instinct and just threw in some nutritional yeast with walnuts and 2-3 scapes per batch. I didn't measure anything, just took note of the size of my food processor. The first batch was super garlicky, so I toned it down for the next batches. Also, I used Angela Liddon's suggestion and threw in some fresh spinach (also from my CSA). SO YUMMY! And that's EASY VEGAN GARLIC SCAPE PESTO!

Next, I still had some scapes left, so I made an easy vegan bean dip. You can find recipe's galore for bean dips and I've followed some precisely, but find it easier to just throw together what I've got. I used two small scapes (BTW--I found it easy to use kitchen shears to snip the scapes into quarter-inch pieces) and a can of drained and rinsed garbonzo beans. I also added salt and pepper, fresh spinach and a little oil. Not too strong, but the garlic taste is robust! Just throw any kind of white bean, like great northern beans or chick peas, into the food processor with herbs and oil and it's EASY WHITE BEAN DIP! You don't even have to cut up garlic or have scapes on hand. Just sprinkle in some garlic powder for a super quick and easy option.

So, then I took a little rest because Will had brought me Q'doba. It was my first time having a vegetarian bowl from them, and it was good. However, I think I still rate Chipotle's veggie bowl higher. The guacamole at Chipotle is the best.

After the rest, I was ready to whip up something else. But what? S had told me earlier she had a chocolate craving, so I looked in my box and found a vegan chocolate cake recipe my mom had copied from somewhere and given me. You just whisk together 1.5 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 3T cocoa powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt. Then you continue to whisk in 1/4 cup +2T oil, 1tsp vanilla, 1T vinegar and 1 cup of water. Could not be any easier. I didn't have vanilla extract, so I substituted almond extract. Then you pour the batter into a greased 8x8 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. So then I had the cake cooling and wanted to make a great icing for it. I started with 1/4 cup of vegan butter, 1.5 cups confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup water and blended. It was very thin. So then I got the great idea to add sunflower seed butter. I just stirred in about 1/4 cup and it was the perfect consistency for icing. At this time I haven't iced the cake yet because it's cooling.

I'm going to throw together some pesto pasta for dinner for the girls and I'll probably have some after my workout this evening.

No comments: