Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Food Blog Winter 2011: Okonomiyaki

Before leaving school yesterday I had some free time while S was at chorus practice. I read some of the blogs I follow and came across this post from Your Vegan Mom. I've never had okonomiyaki before, but Vegan Mom's pictures and description looked and sounded like something my kids and I would enjoy. The only thing I was missing was tofu. I figured a large pancake would be doable without it, so I set about making it with the ingredients I had at home. First I whisked together 2 cups of whole wheat flour, 2 tsp sea salt, and 2 tsp baking powder. Then I added two eggs equivalent of egg replacer and 1 3/4 cups of water. This made your average looking pancake batter. Next I put zucchini, yellow squash and kale leaves (minus the stems) through the salad shooter. It added up to 4 cups of vegetables. I added this to my batter and mixed it well.



Then I put about 3/4 cup of batter into a hot, oiled cast iron skillet and I let it cook until it was almost cooked through.


When it started looking mostly cooked I put it under the broiler until it was browned on top as well. Then I flipped it onto a plate and voila! G is asking for more pancake. They'd each already had 1/2 of the the first one.

I ate some of the second one. It was very tasty.


We dipped it in soy sauce mixed with agave and a little yellow mustard. I served it with salad, hence the fork, but here's S demonstrating how she preferred to eat her okonomiyaki.




I had a great time making and eating a new food, so thanks Vegan Mom for the recipe. My girls thank you, too!

1 comment:

trina said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing your take. It makes me so happy to hear about kids eating a healthy meal!