Saturday, February 5, 2011

Food Blog Winter 2011: Vegan Chard and Potato Noodle Soup

After sitting in a chilly high school gym for two hours this morning while my kids played soccer, I wanted something warm and comforting for lunch. I'd had a cup of coffee while at the school, but I'd also had two jars of cold green juice. The juice gives me energy and mental clarity like nothing else and I wanted to eat something that would keep me feeling light and zippy. The perfect option was a fresh, homemade soup. I looked in my fridge and cupboard, which is kind of bare since we're due for a grocery shopping trip this weekend, and from what I found I devised this soup. This isn't just a soup for today, though. It's a recipe I will certainly do again. The ingredients are items I like to have in the house and eat on a regular basis.

Without any further ado, for your cooking and eating pleasure I present to you,

Chard & Potato Noodle Soup





Will had juiced chard yesterday, but there was one bunch left. I think it's so beautiful!



In addition to the veggies, I added half this package of rice noodles.


The Recipe:
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 Mediume white potato peeled and cubed
1 Medium sweet potato peeled and cubed
1 small sweet onion finely chopped
2 cups chopped swiss chard (remove stem)
8 oz rice noodles
32 oz vegetable broth + water (3 cups)
salt and pepper to taste
grated ginger to taste

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the garlic, potatoes and onion and salt and pepper and saute until beginning to soften and brown. Pour in vegetable broth and water to cover vegetables, leaving room for chard and noodles. Cover and bring to a boil. Then simmer covered until the potatoes are cooked (20-30 min.). Turn heat to low, add swiss chard and rice noodles. Cover 5-10 minutes until noodles are soft. Grate fresh ginger into soup, stir and serve.

Ginger tip: Peel and cut the ginger into 3-4 inch pieces when you buy it. Then wrap each piece in cling wrap and put them in a baggy to keep in the freezer. The frozen ginger can easily be grated into your dish.

G gives the soup 5 STARS!

No comments: