Sunday, December 5, 2010

Food Blog Winter 2010: Skip the mayo Salmon Cakes

My second self-designed recipe. I took the idea of using chickpeas from one of my favorites: fallafel. Because G cannot have egg or dairy, I use egg replacer and the chickpeas substitute for mayonnaise which most people use. (Yes, this means, from time to time I eat salmon.)

10oz of skinless and boneless cooked salmon (I recommend Bumble bee Premium Wild Pink Salmon in 5 oz pouches)
1 can Chickpeas, rinsed
1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, whichever you prefer.
Sprinkle to taste: Cumin, Chili powder, sea salt, pepper, Coriander, garlic powder--experiment with seasonings you like
1-2 eggs or egg replacer
Optional: diced onion

In food processor, blend chickpeas and fresh herbs with eggs and seasonings.
Put the salmon in a bowl and add the blended chickpea mixture to the salmon and mix well.
Heat olive oil in a skillet.
Form mixture into salmon cakes/burgers and place in skillet. Brown on both sides and serve over salad or as a sandwich.

No comments: