Saturday, September 11, 2010

Food Blog: Two-weeks 'till fall 2010 Edition



Spinach Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms! I've been wanting to make these for a while and I finally had almost all ingredients on hand. I was missing fresh italian parsley, but I just did without. I used basil from my backyard crazy basil plant. I have no idea what type of basil it is. Its seeds were given as a wedding favor this summer and it took off! It's leaves are large with jagged edges. A friend tasted it and said it had a licorice flavor. I think it's delicious fresh with tomato or cooked with pasta or mixed with white beans for a dip. It was nice in the stuffed mushrooms. My kids don't care for portabello mushrooms, except G who will eat them if they are cut in tiny pieces in stir fry, so I just gave them the filling which included spinach, red bell pepper, garlic, basil and homemade croutons. A little soy sauce and olive oil combined with the basil in an interesting flavor I've not had before. I'll definitely do this recipe again. I think next time I'll use different mushrooms and frozen spinach (the chopping was time consuming) to make it an appetizer dish.

1 comment:

saskia said...

that looks good, my mom didn't care- we kind of did whatever as kids- I on the other hand would've strangled my daughter LOL