Thursday, August 12, 2010

Organic MUST Buys

This list is on the latest post from Crazy Sexy Life:
I don't have a Whole Foods or other organic/natural food store nearby, so I predominantly shop at Giant. When I go to my parents I try to stop by Mom's Organic Market which is near their house. However, I don't usually buy produce there, but I get my vegan items. After looking at these lists, I should start getting produce elsewhere. Giant usually has about 10 items in the produce department that are organic and these are the ones I get.

When you MUST buy organic:
1. celery I usually buy conventional as I have not seen it organic at Giant.
2. peaches Conventional :(
3. strawberries Conventional :(
4. apples Organic apples are always in stock at Giant and I keep them in the house. I buy organic apple sauce from Mom's.
5. domestic blueberries I buy these frozen (they say "wild blueberries"). They are conventional.
6. nectarines Conventional :(
7. sweet bell peppers Conventional :( We eat these a lot.
8. spinach, kale and collard greens I always buy organic spinach whether frozen or fresh. Giant has not had organic kale.
9. cherries I don't buy them. I don't like them.
10. potatoes Conventional
11. imported grapes Conventional
12. lettuce Giant carries organic bagged lettuce and often has organic large leaf lettuces, so I get those.

When you can skip it:
1. onions Too bad I didn't know this! I just bought a bag of organic onions at Giant. Oh well!
2. avocados I figured these were OK conventional, so this is good to know.
3. sweet corn
4. pineapples
5. mangoes
6. sweet peas
7. asparagus This is a relief 'cause we love it!
8. kiwi fruit good!
9. cabbage
10. eggplant
11. cantaloupe I figured melons were safe because of their thick skins.
12. watermelon
13. grapefruit Love this too!
14. sweet potatoes Why are these safe, but other potatoes are not? Oh well, I buy these more often than potatoes.
15. sweet onions

Next March we'll have to see where we are financially. I would LOVE to invest in a local organic CSA. But, we could also plant our own pepper and tomato plants. It's the greens from the CSA that are worth the investment. In fact, I can see a freezer stocked with frozen green juice if that happens! YUM!

1 comment:

Liane said...

the giant by me has organic celery! it's not with the regular celery, i don't think, but with some other organic stuff - carrots, i think. look again!