Sunday, August 15, 2010

Food Blog Summer 2010 Edition

This post includes my very first published self-designed recipe!
Here we go! Good eats this August:
Meal #1
I recently had my best trip to the grocery store with the kids. I gave them both items they were in charge of getting, so they were occupied and excited to shop. It worked very well because they didn't fool around and get on each other's nerves. G (5 years old) got the produce bags and started gathering. She saw these bright green chayote from Ecuador. She probably thought they were pears, so I pointed out they were a vegetable. The sign said they were similar to zucchini. We got two. I chopped them, sauteed them with salt, pepper and garlic powder. They remained crisp. I put them in a bowl and added lemon juice, chopped cilantro and chopped avocado and served it warm. We ate it the next day cold, which I prefered, with salad.






Here is the chayote with vegan mac n cheese from 30 Minute Vegan and a baked sweet potato. Not sure where these potatoes are from as I bought them at Giant, but they were naturally sweet and very delicious with a little vegan butter mashed in. YUM!


Meal #2

Here is a dinner that took very little time to prepare and got me much praise from the kids.
I put the left over mac n cheese in a pot with a jar of tomato sauce. I added half a bag of Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs (REALLY GOOD!) and heated for about 20 minutes. I toasted bread, added butter and garlic powder for a quick garlic bread and also included a spinach salad.




Meal #3
Falafel! My sister gave me a great falafel recipe. Since I still had cilantro left I decided to make them, only I didn't have chickpeas. So I used cannelini beans. Simply drain and rinse the beans and put them in the food processor (I have a mini size) with 1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used Trader Joe's Panko Bread Crumbs), 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground red pepper, and Egg Replacer equivalent of 2 eggs. Blend, shape into patties and saute in olive oil until browned on each side. The cannileni beans were stickier than the chickpeas, so I added more bread crumbs.



Meanwhile, I had this yummy soup simmering on the stove: ACORN SQUASH SOUP!




Here are the falafel coated in bread crumbs before sauteing. I made 8 about 2 inches in diameter.




Here is the delicious soup garnished with cilantro:










I gave the kids their falafel on a bed of spinach.





I ate mine wrapped in romaine leaves with a slice of tomato (not pictured):











Here is my soup recipe MADE BY ME! Yes, I've finally become proficient enough in the kitchen to design my own recipe! I've sort of made my own recipies before and I certainly throw together things, but I was so confident in this recipe I wrote it down before I made it and it turned out wonderfully.
2 Acorn squash peeled and chopped (You could halve them and bake them in the oven and add the cooked flesh to the pot, but this is how I did it. I hate handling the hot squash.)
3 carrots peeled and chopped
1 onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 apples chopped
2 tsp cumin
salt/pepper to taste
In a large sauce pan, warm 2 tbsp olive oil and saute garlic, onion, carrot, squash and apple until vegetables are starting to brown. Add vegetable broth or water enough to cover vegetables. Cover. Bring to a boil. Lower temperature and allow to simmer stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Uncover. Add salt, pepper and cumin and simmer uncovered 20+ minutes until all vegetables are cooked. Puree (I used my nifty immersion blender) and serve. Don't forget to garnish with cilantro! It's very refreshing!

2 comments:

Liane said...

WOW! You have been busy. How are you preparing for less cooking time once work and craziness begins?

Lauren M said...

I've definitely been thinking about that. I froze some leftover soup and some mac n cheese this week. I do remind myself that it only takes 15 minutes to get home and if I have meals planned, it only takes 30 minutes to prepare most dinners. So, my plan is to plan a few dinners every week, grocery shop on the weekend, freeze leftovers for the future, and make batches of green juice and freeze them every two weeks. I've done that twice now and it's wonderful. The only difficult night will be Wed. cuz S has dance until 4 and then soccer at 6!