Thursday, July 22, 2010

Food Blog Summer 2010 Edition: Birthday Cake!

I have a few days of food blogging to show you.

First up, last week I made Pasta Florentine from The 30 Minute Vegan: I highly recommend that cookbook. This pasta dish is one of my favorites. I used Red Star Nutritional Yeast and rice milk for the cream sauce. The spinach was Wild Harvest organic frozen cut leaf spinach. The pasta was Eddies Spaghetti: Vegetable Bowties, also organic. S and I LOVE this dish. G, who can't digest egg or milk and who is the reason I started exploring vegan options years ago, doesn't care for it. Go figure.



As of yesterday I am one year older! My youngest G is also a new five year old. Five years ago she was born on my birthday. She was due Sept 13, but due to preeclampsia she was induced early and it just happened to be my birthday. It was a scary and exciting event and I was very sick and G was in the NICU hooked up to IVs for a month. Anyway, here is our birthday cake from last Saturday. The cake recipe is from Vegan Lunch Box, but the icing is a vegan cream cheese vanilla recipe I found online a couple years ago when searching for vegan carrot cake recipes. At this point I don't know where it came from, but it's a nice vanilla creamy icing with Tofutti Better Than Cream cheese as its base.

The girls watched me assemble the cake. They said it looked like a giant oreo before I put the icing on top. In fact, they gave me a good idea because next time I make this cake I'll turn it into an "oreo" cake. I'll actually use Newman's Os that are dairy and wheat free. Those things are awesome! G's teacher actually felt the need to mention to me that G had oreos in her lunch and don't those have milk? Ha! Thanks Newman! I'd crumble up the Os and put the crumbled mix in the middle and bigger pieces on top. That'd be so good!



As you can see, there are five candles so G was the only one blowing them out this year. I'm fine with that!

And here is the drink of choice at our party. Natty Bo, for short. When the girls first saw the big sign on what used to be the beer factory, they thought it was the Pringles man. Now they know better.


This pizza was not the best idea for my digestion, even though it WAS goats cheese on my pizza. But it made use of what we had in the house. These were our last three tortillas 2 days ago. The pizza in the back was for S, with kale, spinach and mozzarella. The pizza on the right was for G, also kale, spinach, but vegan rice cheese. My pizza had kale, spinach, sweet onion, feta and cheddar style goat's cheese. Maybe I could digest goats cheese alright if I didn't eat other processed foods like bread or regular cows cheese. It's so hard, but I know I need to give it up completely. We toasted these in the oven and got them all nice and melty. Yum.



Tuesday I decided to have a more cleansing day and started with a tall (though not as tall as my lucky bamboo) Green Lemonade as per Natalia Rose. It consisted of a head of lettuce, a bunch of kale, a head of celery, two lemons and one green apple. It was the perfect mix. G had two sippies full of this. She gets open cups except for green juice. It's a special treat for her.
This Lucky Bamboo plant used to have three stalks, but it's been through a lot and one didn't survive. I had it in my classroom at school. It got knocked over a couple times. Now I have it home and it's doing very well. Later on Tuesday I had a salad and for dinner Tortilla chips and Salsa and then a lettuce sandwich. I love bread and it's difficult not to eat it when it's in the house. Still, I felt much better after being raw much of the day.




Wednesday I had a grapefruit for breakfast, bean chili for lunch, a slice of rye bread and then went out to PF Changs for my actual birthday dinner. Not a bad day of eating, but today I felt bloated and needed to cleanse some more.

So, today I've started with a smoothie consisting of baby spinach, vanilla almond milk and frozen blueberries. It has a sort of turquoise color, though it only looks purple in the picture. Very pretty.




One of my goals this summer has been to end my addiction to coffee. Well, I haven't done that, but it's decreased greatly. I now only have one small cup in the morning, followed by water and then whatever I'm having for breakfast. This week it has NOT been toast, so that's been very good. It's been either fruit, juice, or smoothie. I think the more I have green juices the less I'll need coffee and if I can keep it up for the start of the school year I'll be in the clear. If not, I'll be back on the caffeine (and sugar!).


I'm rereading Natalia Rose's Detox 4 Women to stay motivated. I just need to DO IT!
7pm Update: I DID IT! I ate a cleansing diet today. After my smoothie I had a small salad. Then I went grocery shopping, came home and had another larger salad with a whole avacado. After I felt reenergized, I made a bunch of green juice and froze 11 Mason Jars of juice. I generally filled each one up halfway and added a little filtered water so they were a little more than 3/4 full. Hope that's enough that they don't explode! I juiced two heads of green lettuce, 7 lemons, a bunch of kale, two heads of celery and 5 golden delicious apples.
Then I cleaned the juicer and chopped up parsnips, sweet potatoes and organic carrots. I drizzled them with olive oil and added salt, pepper and rosemary from my mom's garden. I had put it in the fridge 11 days ago and it was still perfectly fresh! I roasted the vegetables for about an hour at 375 degrees. This cooked the sweet potatoes fully, but the parsnips and carrots were al dente. I ate the vegetables with leftover tofu and brocolli from PF Chang's yesterday and gave the girls whole wheat pasta with vegan butter and nutritional yeast to go with their veggies.
I'm going on a trip next week. I plan on taking the frozen juice with me. I hope I can keep up this diet!

No comments: