Friday, April 16, 2010

Back on Track

I'm trying to get my diet back on track.
Here are my excuses: I live in a household stocked with all sorts of processed foods. I'm busy. I'm tired. I'm STRESSED. I hate winter. It's too cold and I need bread. I don't have enough support. I have to make food for the kids. I don't have enough support.

Ok. So now I'm going to kick all those excuses to the curb! I'm back to reading the bloggers that give me the support I need. They are real people and they will really respond. And there are other readers out there like me who are blogging and trying their best. So, I'll keep connecting to these people even though it's only online. It still helps.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. First of all, spring is here and the warmer weather is motivational to me. It motivates me to move, to exercise, walk, run, play. It motivates me to make green juice and drink lemon water and munch on cucumbers.

There is also a light at the end of the tunnel for living in our own house. YAY! We sign the lease Monday, but don't move in until mid-May. Still, it's not far away and I need to start planning for all the added food shopping and prep I'll be doing.

I need to remember that I have a supportive husband. He is completely supportive of vegetarian eating and eating a high raw diet. He loves green juices.... even greener juices than I like! Our juicer has been put away for FAR too long.

I'm super excited to get the kids on a vegetarian diet. Prior to moving in with my folks they were eating poultry and fish. It didn't stay that way. It's difficult on their psyches. They WANT to be vegetarian. G is always saying "I'm vegetarian now" and the other night S said she was trying to keep from eating the ham on the table in front of her. Of course I told her to just eat it. I reminded her that she is free to eat meat when we visit family and she can eat vegetarian when I'm the one fixing her dinner. When they're struggling with the ethics of eating the meat in front of them and knowing I encourage vegetarianism, I remind them that their breakfasts and lunches are vegetarian 90% of the time except for occasional turkey sandwiches.

I do have one concern and that is budgeting. Apparently my husband thinks I'm not so good at grocery shopping on a budget. I think he's still remembering when we were first married 9 years ago and I bought a bunch of packaged foods and household products in one trip and to him it didn't look like it represented the cost. Really, he needs to look at what we spent the last couple years in NC. We did FINE. We didn't overspend on groceries.

Kristin's Raw is such an inspirational blog for eating all vegan high raw. She has great tips on eating healthy on a tight budget. Some I had already thought of, like buying grains, lentils and beans in bulk rather than in boxes. As much as I'd love to buy all organic produce, I know I can't. I would also love to join a CSA, but the price for that is too high to do this year.... hopefully next year we can budget it in. So, I'll have to stick with buying organic apples, carrots and spinach because these are big staples in our diets and they're part of the dirty dozen. I'll have to settle for getting the rest regular except for occasional organic greens. I just don't think we can afford all organic lettuce and juice the amount we want to. I don't know what is better.... only juice when we can get organic or juice regular? I lean towards juicing regular lettuce, because we're still getting the phytonutrients. Unfortunately the dirty dozen consists of a lot of the veggies we eat regularly. :(

I'll have to keep in mind that our budget comes down to eating for about $15/day. That's a family of 4. Doable? It had better be!

I am so looking forward to not stressing about what NOT to eat because I won't feel bad about eating ANYTHING we have in the house since it will all be excellent food!

No comments: