Thursday, October 22, 2009

Finally

I've been hired. Somebody actually wants me. Now I have to prove myself, to myself and my employer, that I CAN DO THIS! I am freaking out quietly inside much of the time because I start on Monday (it's Thursday!). The semester is just about half way through. The previous beloved teacher died of stomach cancer, so it's a sad, delicate situation. I don't know what the students have done. I have to put together a darkroom from a jumble of equipment (YIKES! HELP!) The rest should be okay, except that there are not texts. No text for art appreciation! Thank heavens for the internet.

The awesome part is the children will attend the school. It's a Catholic school. I'll be teaching high school. S will go to first grade at the K-8 school across the parking lot from my school. G will be about 10 minutes away at another Catholic Church where there's a preschool/day care center that is run by the K-8 school. We ALL start Monday. Needless to say, everyone is a bit stressed. I've been very busy this week filling out paper work, dropping off health forms, getting a flu shot, getting fingerprinted. Tomorrow I'm taking in all the paperwork so it will be finalized. Then I'm taking S to the mall to get the last items for her uniform. Fortunately, we got a few used uniform pieces so she's good to start this week. We'll have to get some more jumpers once I get some $$$, cuz that stuff is expensive. I love that it'll all be able to be passed down to G.

Not looking forward to the commute. It'll be about 45 minutes. Just like camp was all summer. We'll have to leave every morning no later than 6:15. I haven't gotten up before 6am for YEARS! Not since I had to get the bus at 7:10 in middle school when I got up at 5:45 some mornings. But with having to take G to her day care center at 7, then drive back to my campus and get S to before school care, I'll get only a few minutes before the 7:45 warning bell.

I'm excited to finally be teaching, but I'm very aware that the first year is a very difficult one and THIS semester will be more like I'm a long term sub than anything. The previous teacher's belongings still have not been cleared out. I hope they will be before Monday.

The benefit of the kids going to Catholic school, going to school WHERE I WORK, having free before and after school care if needed... it's the most wonderful situation and more than I imagined would work out for us.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Congratulations!!! I hope it goes well for you!

Gillian said...

Awesome! congratulations...

Lauren said...

Thanks. Looking at this post again I don't sound very excited. Ha! I am, but my anxieties are just as strong.

mommaladybug said...

Just remember to breath, and take each day one at a time. You're going to be a great teacher!