Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Revolutionary Road Love

I'm not quite halfway through the book and I'm in love with it. It was originally published in 1961 and it's absolutely still applicable today. The characters are my age, married with kids and not quite sure what they want out of life. What they do know is their present existence is not what they expected (whose is?). They have ideas of what they may have missed out on, but are trying not to regret their decisions because of the positive aspects of those decisions (a spouse who has stuck with them, kids). The conversations they have, the ideas of where they fit into society, their philosophies on life and politics and humanity, the friends they have... it all translates to my existence today.

Richard Yates' character development through flashes of the past and realistic conversation is superb.

I am in love with Revolutionary Road.

No comments: