Monday, December 29, 2008

Holidays

It's still holiday time, but I'm anxious to move on. Is it too early to take the tree down? I know I shouldn't rush it, but I'm like, let's just get on with the next year already. I have things to do. So, rather than wish away the holiday season, I started back to work this evening. I got one application for a Baltimore city charter school ready to go out in the mail tomorrow. I have applied to three counties surrounding Baltimore and Baltimore City, so now I'm applying to many of the charter schools in the city. Will was not accepted into the BCTR program. There were sooo many people with graduate degrees applying and he won't be finished his B.S. until the spring, so that pretty much explains it and makes us feel better. It's a really bad time for us to be trying to find jobs. We're up against people who wouldn't normally be looking to the teaching field. In applying to the city I'm up against the BCTR folk who would will actually get paid three steps higher than I would!

Every time Will and I talk about it we start fighting. It means the move. He wants to make at least 40,000 and says we both have to or it's not worth it. I would go down to 38,000 because we need to have jobs to get anywhere and there is NOTHING here in this part of NC. Will is going to look in southern VA though for a job he can commute to. Maybe I'll get a job for next year here or substitute teach and we can stay another year. Fine. That's fine if that happens. But it's not looking good right now for me to get a job here and I really want to move back to MD.

Will is annoying the frick out of me right now. He keeps saying these little attack phrases like, "I don't know why you decided to shower this morning when we don't have much time" and "You don't know the directions by now?" So then I snap back at him and he calls me a bitch under his breath. WTF. I ask him how he would feel if a man, or boy, called his daughters that. Would he want them to be with that man? Now, don't get all pious and tell me your husband/significant other would never be so mean. Understand it's a defence mechanism he, and most of us, have to just say the other person is the big meanie and that's the word he uses. Fortunately it is under his breath or just mouthed or even just implied by his expression. And I do call him a dick, so it goes both ways. I know he doesn't even realize he's communicating in such a negative fashion and I need to tell him so it can stop. It's also only in times of stress that we get like that. But also, in times of stress we tend to communicate better in the end and get ourselves through it without damaging our relationship.

Anyway. It's his final semester of school, I just graduated, we have 2 kids, we need health benefits and a home of our own and we want to move, so it's fucking stressful.


Moving on. The coolest gift we got was from my inlaws who gave us a framed copy of the Baltimore Sun front page announcing Obama's victory. How cool is that? My parents got us a Garmin which is also really cool. Will also got a record player that changes the music into MP3 format. And I got an anniversary edition GOLD etch-a-sketch! I love it! Both our parents spoiled us ALL this year, not just the little kids! It was a rockin Christmas.

No comments: