Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Confession


Here's what I did. I found this blog by a new teacher. I'll not link it. She has listed every student's name in her class. Now, maybe she changed the names you might think. Well, she named her school as well and the title of the blog is her classroom number. Her first name is on the blog. So here's what I did: nothing, for months. She doesn't post often, but then I was thinking about it and looked back at the posts and thought, what she is doing is illegal. Teachers aren't allowed to talk to parents about what a child did unless it is their child. And here this teacher is saying what school these students are in and what they are doing and what their room number is. So, I searched the school, as she had talked about the city in which she teaches, and found the number and called it.
When the secretary answered I told her I was calling because I found a blog online from one of the teachers at her school. She stopped me there. She didn't know what a blog was. I explained. I continued: I'm calling from NC, I found the blog searching the blog site and the teacher has listed information about her class and I thought you should know. The secretary asked for the teacher's name and when I told her the teacher's name, grade, and room number, she sighed and said "oh, she's a new teacher. I may have to refer you to someone else, hold on." She talked to other people I could hear in the background, came back and and asked for my name and phone number, changed her mind before I could give it, not that I really wanted to, and asked for the website instead. That was yesterday and nothing has changed on the blog. Was it weird for me to call? Would it be wrong to print out the blog posts, highlight the confidential information such as the school and student's names, and mail a copy to the school and the board of Ed?
I read other teacher's blogs. While they give the city in which they teach, they change student's names and do not tell what school they teach in. People involved with the school could probably figure out who it is, but outsiders can't, not easily. So, what do you think?

No comments: