Monday, October 20, 2008

Student Teaching...

...will soon be over! I only have 3 more weeks after this week. This is my last week at the high school full time! I am so sad! I will miss these kids. I'm finally getting the hang of it and I'm fully into a routine with these kids. At first my university supervisor wanted me to switch with another student teacher at the middle school, but I feel like middle school is so similar to high school level I don't want to just switch. Besides, I love my placement! I asked to be able to just go around visiting different schools of every level during the mornings and then return to the high school to work with the afternoon classes. The new teacher coordinator is working on setting that up. It is so surreal that I am actually graduating. Unfortunately, I will probably have to substitute teach as there are no openings anywhere in the area.

My kids and my husband are both very sick right now. Well, S isn't very sick. She's been going to school, but has been fighting a cold for two weeks now. G is the sick one with aches and pains and fluid in her ears. I won't be at all surprised if she gets a double ear infection. Will (he wants me to use his full name so no one reading will think "dubya" as in George Dubya Bush) just went to urgent care because his ear is hurting. Maybe he blew out his ear drum. G did that when she was 2, but it had already mostly healed before we knew it had happened.

I am sick, but only moderately so. I fully credit my diet. I'm going to have plant juice this evening and then some left-over bulgur wheat-stuffed pepper and zucchini my mom made when she visited. Yum. I used to never get moderately sick. I would just get really sick and have completely stuffed sinuses and aches and feel very bad. I know Will wishes I'd stay home to give him a hand, but I'm really not sick enough to stay home and he's coping alright, especially since S can go to school.

My cooperating teacher was at an education conference today and will be again tomorrow. A young woman my age is our substitute. She just moved here to NENC this past July. She's originally from "South Jersey," but lived in L.A. the last three years with her Coastie b/f. It was absolutely WONDERFUL to see the school and the town from the perspective of a northerner. She said it seemed a little backwards and she's totally bored. Fortunately, she got right into the certification program at our local university and is working towards special ed. certification. She had completed her degree in history and secondary education except for her student teaching, so she didn't get the ed part of the degree. She's subbing and waitressing because there are no teaching positions open in social studies. Will thought it would be easy to get such a position, but it's not easy to get ANY position. A lot of students are graduating from college all across the country this year. My own student teaching class is the largest in a long time. I'm afraid it will be VERY competitve to find a teaching position here AND in MD. Anyway, it was very nice meeting her and she'll be back tomorrow. I wonder if she noticed my accent. I kind of slip into the southern/country accent very easily and I notice it more when I talk with northerners, like my mom or my friends. I noticed it today when I addressed the class to get their attention. I believe I said "ya'll" and kept right up with the twangy accent. It's not strong by any means, but it's there. It makes me feel good when people ask me where I'm from because I obviously don't speak with the accent of this region. Some girls from Tennessee once told me they loved my accent. That was weird.

Oooh, I'm getting the strange, achy, floaty kind of feeling in my body I get when I'm sick and on pseudophedrine. Not sure if it's from being sick or from the meds. I love REAL pseudophedrine, not that hydrocrap. It doesn't even bother me that I have to get it from the pharmacy and have my liscence number recorded with it, as long as I get it!

No comments: