Friday, September 12, 2008

Leaving the girl

I just tucked G into bed. She's great with showing the physical affection, but I decided to pull the "I love you, too" line from her, so I climbed in bed with her and she lavished on the affection. I asked her "how do you tell me you love me?" "I love you, too," she said. She always puts "too" on the end. So cute.

So then I was half-way stepping out her gate and said "goodnight, love you," again, when she looked up from her book (she always looks at books before going to sleep) and said "You gonna leave forever?" Whoa. I told her "No, I'm gonna be home with you tomorrow!" So G said, "Oh, Daddy gonna go?" Poor girl! She's back in the school year swing with W and I alternating time home. She did get half a summer with both of us home after W did an internship the first half. I explained that there is no school tomorrow so even S would be home. "You have two kids!" G exclaimed. She has changed so much in just the last month.

I don't think G meant I would "leave her," just that I would be leaving the house (and then coming back) every day... forever.

Another thing. She is to the height where it has begun to be painful for her to be picked up under her armpits. That just came to my attention today. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to see the baby as growing up, though I had heard of this and witnessed this happen for other parents. In fact, there is a mother I see at church with 3 boys, one of whom is in a class of mine at the high school. Anyway, she holds her youngest much of church and he pretty much always falls asleep either on her or on the pew when we stand (which is a lot of the time since we don't have kneelers down here in the south). The problem is this kid stands at the height of the woman's arm pits. She's a little on the short side, but still. He has to be 7 or 8 years old. At first I thought he was developmentally disabled, but now I don't think so. I think she has just refused to see that her youngest has grown so much.

No comments: