Saturday, April 5, 2008

Religion: Opiate for the masses?

I've been following this wonderful blog about a wonderful family. They are Christians. This is a comment from their blog:

"profanglophilia said...
I found your blog a few nights before the transplant... was just blog-hopping, you know. Killing time, procrastinating going to bed. I checked it again the next day, and the next. I think I even added it to my bookmarks. I've been struggling with my faith lately. Toying with giving it up all together. I'm a college professor who teaches world history... as we cover the early world religions, they are just all so similar, so clearly filling a void for their people... the same void that Christianity would fill in this millenium. It makes me question everything I've been taught to believe about God and His Son. I've long since given up praying and going to church. But it weighs on me daily... as though there is this voice in the back of my head telling me to look further, beyond the academics and intellectual stuff. I know faith is, well, "faith". I miss it. Anyway, my point is that the night you posted about Tricia's transplant I prayed for her. That's the first prayer I've said in I don't know how long. So, when you write about touching people... you've touched me. Not just with your story, but with your faith. I hope to find mine again sooner rather than later. And regardless of when I finally work out that "voice", I will keep praying for your family. Thank you so much for sharing it all with us in such a personal way.

April 4, 2008"

I'm not sure why it has to be one or the other. One: regardless of historical facts, Christianity is truth; the other: because of historical facts, Christianity is completely false and that means God isn't real.

I believe God is real and prayer does have power. It doesn't have to be all in or all out. There are other faiths besides Christianity and I believe this is what signifies that there is God. Jesus? Not sure. As the comment-writer said, there are similar stories between the religions and there are other stories similar to Jesus.

I see Christianity as a tool to teach faith and morals, but NOT the one and only path to God.

No comments: